The pec deck exercise is used to isolate the pectoral muscles and develop them, particularly the outer part of the pectoral or chest muscles at the bottom of the movement and the middle of the chest at the top of the movement. This exercise can be performed by beginners too, and requires no spotter usually.
Correct Form Of Pec Deck Fly Exercise
Here are the steps to perform the pec-deck fly exercise with correct form and precautions.
- Sit in the pec deck machine (in pic above) and place your back and head flat against the backrest.
- Place your arms at a 90° angle on the arm pads. Adjust your seat properly so that your arms are parallel to the floor.
- Your elbows will be slightly lower than shoulder level. This is the starting position.
- Bring the pads together slowly, not allowing them to touch each other. Hold for 3-5 seconds and slowly go back to starting position.
- Be careful not to let the weights fall back on the rack. Instead, use the resistance of the machine to slowly come back to starting position.
- This completes one repetition.
Variations In Pec Deck Fly
There are a few variations that you can add to the pec deck chest fly.
1. Pec Deck Without Pads
This variation is almost similar to the above exercise, with the only difference that we use our hands and not the entire arm to move the handles.
- Grab the handles with your arms fully stretched, and a slight bend at the elbows.
- Bring the handles right in front of you. Hold there for 3-5 seconds and slowly return to starting position.
- Do not bend your elbows too much. This will put pressure on your biceps and triceps, something which we are not focusing on here.
2. Reverse Pec Deck Fly
This exercise hits the chest muscles from different angles. But still, it is mainly a shoulder exercise, working on the rear Deltoids.
- You sit facing the bench this time. Grab the handles and push them towards your rear slowly.
Precaution To Keep During Pec Deck Chest Fly Exercise
Here are a few precautions to keep during pec deck chest fly exercise.
- Always load sufficient weight which you can move smoothly without jerking.
- Do not jerk the weight around. This can cause considerable damage to your shoulder joints.
- If you cannot be in control of the movement at all times, consider reducing the weight. Moving weight more than your capacity will not be helpful in developing muscles.
- Perform this exercise super slowly, so that your muscles are stretched fully (its a great exercise to isolate the pectorals). This also ensures that you dont use momentum.
- Although you dont need a spotter here, but if you are lifting heavy weights, having a spotter will be helpful.
Video: Pec Deck Fly
Muscles Used in Pec Deck Fly
The following muscles are used in the pec deck fly exercise:
1. Pectoral Muscles
2. Serratus Anterior